of Buxton was platted by Budd Reeve in 1880. Located in the southeast
corner of Buxton Township-Section 25, Township 148 North, Range 51 West,
it lies 12 miles west of the Red River of the North.
| The original
promoters of the town site were T. J. Buxton, President of the City Bank,
Minneapolis, Charles McCormick Reeve, bank cashier (nephew of Budd Reeve),
Doctor Frederick A. Dunsmoor, surgeon, and W.C. Baker, all of Minneapolis;
and H. C. Ives of St. Paul who was secretary to James J. Hill of Railroad
On October 5, 1880, three cars of lumber were unloaded for the new town. This was the first shipment, except for railroad equipment, to pass over the newly constructed St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba Railway line. At this time the only construction on the town site was a sod shanty homestead owned by a Norwegian family. By November 2, 1880, a store had been built from this shipment of lumber and was being operated by John Newberry and Randolph Roberts. During these same months a two-story station and a section house were built by the railroad. The section house was operated as a boarding house, rooms being rented to railroad section crews and their families.
Daisy Moen, Daughter a A. A. Moen, an early town merchant and first postmaster, was the first child born in the newly established town. The town site company presented her with the gift of a business lot.
As the surrounding farming community recognized the development of the town site, Buxton became the first grain market between Grand Forks and Fargo. T. J. Buxton, on a visit to the town site, authorized Reeve $2,500 to purchase grain from area farmers for shipment to Minneapolis. That was enough capital to last only a half day. Mr. Buxton did not realize the enormous area that the Buxton market served.
In 1881 new buildings, new industries and many newly married, enterprising couples were attracted to Buxton, and it was from this beginning that the Buxton business community developed.
As businesses developed, so did the residential area. Mr. Reeve proceeded to improve and beautify his farm. Though not a practical "dirt farmer", he put forth every effort to make not only his home but the new town of Buxton, beautiful. He was interested in tree planting and in shrubbery. Through his influence, groves were started on the surrounding farms and trees and shrubbery were planted on lawns in town. The area north of Buxton was heavily wooded and in this area was a body of water which Mr. Reeve named Daisy Lake, Daisy being the pet name of his daughter Louise.
In the early days Mr. Reeve donated a part of his land east of town for a cemetery. This spot was to be a resting place for his family and others who wished to be buried there, and was not designated for a specific church organization. When churches were established and lots for cemeteries were developed, many of the bodies were moved. Mr. and Mrs. Reeve lie buried there, and also some of the very early pioneers.
Excerpts taken from the Buxton Centennial Book